Sunday, August 21, 2011

How to Cut Your Own Hair

(If your hair is sorta wavy and sorta straight and frizzy in spots and smooth in others and medium to long and you want it layered.)

1. Start with damp hair. Put it in a very high, tight, smooth ponytail.

2. Brush the ponytail forward and smooth it out nicely with a comb.

3. Bring it straight down in front of your face and cut off however much you like in a straight-ish line.

4. Do some random snipping straight up into you hair while it's still between your fingers to make your cut a little less blunt. Try to look slightly terrified.

5. Let about half of your hair down and make a new ponytail with what's left. Cut just a bit less off this layer than you did the first.

6. Let down even more to create the top, shortest, face-framing layer.  Take about the same off here as you did with the second layer.


Et voila!












Do just the first tier or all three, depending on how layered you want it.

I've been doing my own bangs too. As my dear, no-nonsense friend Emily taught me, just go from one side to the other. In a straight line.

Be sure to use decently sharp scissors or you'll find your self pushing the hair around instead of cutting it.

May the force be with you.

p.s. While you're cutting your hair, maybe you'd like to listen to some songs I made?
https://soundcloud.com/rebecca_daniels

6 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa Schmid said...

Thanks! My hair is much shorter than yours but i tried this with just one layer, and it came out pretty good :)

October 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

That's great Alyssa! So neat that you actually tried it. Thanks for the comment :)

October 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool! I might try this!!!

November 9, 2014 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger Austine Lab said...


I have read your blog and i am gone through it. Actually I need a trainner who has his hand set on Hair Cutting Scissors as his own number on finger tips. Did you have one? and can you please guide me further?

February 2, 2018 at 6:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I read your article completely, you have shared very informative and helpful detail, I suggest to read this Candure Teeth Whitening Kit for getting more about it.

April 12, 2018 at 2:36 AM  
Blogger Candure said...

I appreciate your insight about Hair Dressing Scissors, it's extremely educational and more depicted points of interest.

June 11, 2018 at 4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home